Job Title: Strawberry Production Intern
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Reports To: Strawberry Production Manager
Betteravia Farms/Bonipak is looking for a qualified individual to join the Strawberry Production Department in Santa Maria, CA. As the Strawberry Production Intern you will be responsible for supervising multiple aspects of strawberry production. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to supervision of the bed up and planting, fertilizer and pesticide applications, and irrigation management. Long-term career possibilities available upon successful completion of internship and graduation.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Disease and pest management: Ability to identify common pests and diseases
- Assist with ranch preparation, which includes; ground preparation, bed up, fumigation, irrigation installation, and planting.
- Assure timely applications of fertilizers
- Work with PCA’s to organize and execute pesticide applications
- Ability to work with production crews to determine quality controls.
- Assist in scheduling non-harvest labor such as; weeding, cutting runners, and cultivating.
- Track and analyze efficiencies of all non-harvest activities
- 1-3 years’ experience in production agriculture.
- PCA License desired but not required.
- Excellent planning and scheduling abilities.
- Analytical skills and proficient in Excel.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred but not required.
(To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies):
- Problem Solving – Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Interpersonal – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming. Maintains confidentiality. Listens to others without interrupting. Keeps emotions under control. Remains open to others’ ideas and makes suggestions of ideas to better policies and procedures.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent;
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals;
- Planning/Organizing – Uses time efficiently.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Works with integrity.
- Support Company Vision – Follows policies and procedures; Supports company’s goals and values. Leads by example.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Safety and Security – Reports potentially unsafe conditions. Uses equipment and materials proper. Keeps work area clean and organized.