Job Title: Payroll Processor
Reports To: Payroll Lead
Perform various clerical payroll and accounting tasks such as processing weekly, bi-weekly, and semi-monthly payrolls, entering payroll data in to system database, verifying accuracy of figures and computations and balancing and reconciling accounts. The Payroll Clerk must comply with established policies and procedures. Providing these services in an effective and efficient way will ensure that staff is paid in a timely and appropriate manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Establish and maintain confidential employee files and separate I-9 files.
- Receives and verifies time cards and crew sheets and accuracy of entries entered, adds hours into regular, calculate over-time.
- Enters time card/crew sheet data into system database balancing all batches and making any adjustments or corrections as necessary.
- Enters data related to new employee enrollment and all change orders from Human Resources Department such as new hourly rates and change in status and hours.
- Verify pay amounts, hours of work, benefits, deductions, etc.
- Record and post all paychecks.
- Verify check count with time card count, obtain signatures, package checks, and distribute to employees and crew supervisors’.
- Prepare and remit source deductions and payroll taxes.
- Submit online state and federal tax payments.
- Prepare and submit direct deposits.
- Maintain open enrollments for health insurance plan semi-annually.
- Responsible for filing of payroll journals, 401k loan disbursements, and other documentations.
- Communicate with department management, staff members, and outside agencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Set-up and maintain 401k loans, with-holding orders, etc. in the payroll data-base.
- Enter and process final pay-checks.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Knowledge of office administration and accounting procedures
- Piece rate experience desired
- Knowledge of payroll and maintaining general ledgers; an Associates Degree in Business, or Accounting required
- One to three yrs. of payroll experience required
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and telephone protocol
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and entering financial information
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Team building skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Very effective organizational skills
- Effective written communication skills
- Computer skills including the ability to operate computerized accounting, spreadsheet and word-processing programs, and email at a highly proficient level
- Stress management skills
- Time management skills
- Must possess the ability to be interrupted and meet with others on a regular basis
- Mist be Bilingual Englsih/Spanish
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is required to occasionally walk and stand. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Working conditions are normal for an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually medium.
(To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies):
- Problem Solving – Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Interpersonal – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming. Maintains confidentiality. Listens to others without interrupting. Keeps emotions under control. Remains open to others’ ideas and makes suggestions of ideas to better policies and procedures.
- Oral Communication – Listens and gets clarification. Responds well to questions.
- Team Work – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Able to build morale and group commitments to goal and objectives. Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; Ability to work well with all team members.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Works with integrity.
- Communication – Must be able to read and write in Spanish.
- Support Company Vision – Follows policies and procedures; Supports company’s goals and values. Leads by example.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent;
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals;
- Planning/Organizing – Uses time efficiently
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Reports potentially unsafe conditions. Uses equipment and materials proper. Keeps work area clean and organized.
The essential physical requirements for this position are:
- Employee must have the ability to walk, talk, hear, see, speak, concentrate, reach in all directions, stoop, bend, lift up to 60 lbs.
- Use a computer, telephone and other equipment needed for the position
- Possess the ability to reason and communicate clearly with or without reasonable accommodation.