Bonita Packing Company
Job Title: Payroll Clerk
Reports To: Accounting Manager
Reports To: Hourly
Perform various clerical payroll and accounting tasks such as processing weekly, bi-weekly, and semi-monthly payrolls, entering payroll data in to system database, verifying accuracy of figures and computations and balancing and reconciling accounts. The Payroll Clerk must comply with established policies and procedures. Providing these services in an effective and efficient way will ensure that staff is paid in a timely and appropriate manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Establish and maintain confidential employee files and separate I-9 files.
- Receives and verifies time cards and crew sheets and accuracy of entries entered, adds hours into regular, calculate over-time.
- Enters time card/crew sheet data into system database balancing all batches and making any adjustments or corrections as necessary.
- Enters data related to new employee enrollment and all change orders from Human Resources Department such as new hourly rates and change in status and hours.
- Verify pay amounts, hours of work, benefits, deductions, etc.
- Record and post all pay-checks.
- Verify check count with time card count, obtain signatures, package checks, and distribute to employees and crew supervisors’.
- Prepare and remit source deductions and payroll taxes.
- Submit online state and federal tax payments.
- Prepare and submit direct deposits.
- Maintain open enrollments for health insurance plan semi-annually.
- Responsible for filing of payroll journals, 401k loan disbursements, and other documentations.
- Prepare quarterly and annual state and federal tax filings.
- Perform bank reconciliations.
- Communicate with department management, staff members, and outside agencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Set-up and maintain 401k loans, with-holding orders, etc. in the payroll data-base.
- Enter and process final pay-checks.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Knowledge of office administration and accounting procedures.
- Knowledge of payroll and maintaining general ledgers; an Associates Degree in Business, or Accounting required.
- One to three yrs. of payroll experience required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and telephone protocol.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and entering financial information.
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Team building skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Very effective organizational skills.
- Effective written communication skills.
- Computer skills including the ability to operate computerized accounting, spreadsheet and word-processing programs, and email at a highly proficient level.
- Stress management skills.
- Time management skills.
- Must possess the ability to be interrupted and meet with others on a regular basis.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is required to occasionally walk and stand. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Working conditions are normal for an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually medium.