Job Title: Organic Production Manager
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Reports To: Vice President of Farm Operations
Salary Range: $80,000-$100,000 (DOE)
Betteravia Farms/Bonipak is looking for a qualified individual to join the Farm Production Department in Santa Maria, CA as the Organic Production Manager. The candidate will be responsible for leading organic crop production activities including planning, scheduling, planting, transplanting, agronomic and cultural practices, organic transition of ground, certification, and compliance across Betteravia Farms Organic production exceeding 3,000 acres of vegetable and berry crops. This position reports to the V.P of Farm Operations and will work closely with the production scheduler, ranch managers, PCA’s, and our internal soil lab manager in order to deliver a constant supply of quality organic crops.
- Collaborate with production scheduler to ensure optimal placement of organic plantings relevant to field location, weather patterns, insect pressure and crop requirements.
- Collaborate with the soil Lab Manager and Ranch Managers to ensure organic fertility programs supply critical levels of all necessary nutrients in a sustainable manner.
- Coordinate an Integrated Pest Management system with the PCA department to ensure the insect and disease pressures are mitigated to the level that deliver high yield, high quality crops.
- Manage the certification process for organic fields and crops, and facilitate all organic Audits.
- Ensure all planting and transplanting of organic crops is performed and documented as planned.
- Monitor and adjust growing practices targeting specific organic production goals.
- Create and manage an organic crop production budget for each crop.
- Continually improve and develop new systems within the organic production areas.
- Coordinate with the Harvest Department to ensure communication of quality and supply for each organic commodity.
- Coordinate with sales to ensure the demand forecast is met with adequate production.
- Work with PCA’s to organize and execute organic pesticide applications.
- Manage in-house organic spray activities.
- Forecast weekly organic production estimates per crop.
- Ensure all safety and food safety guidelines are strictly adhered to in organic production.
- Ensure all company policies are upheld within the organic production department.
- 3-5 years’ experience in organic production agriculture of comparable size.
- Experience with IPM systems in organic production.
- Experience with organic fertility programs.
- BS degree in Agriculture, farm management or closely related field.
- Excellent planning abilities.
- Organizational skills and the ability to work as a team to complete time sensitive projects and tasks.
- Continuous improvement focus.
- Analytical skills and proficient with Microsoft programs.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred but not required.
- Profit Sharing