Job Title: Laboratory Technician Intern
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Reports To: Lab Supervisor
The lab technician will be expected to maintain a functional, efficient, and clean laboratory environment following all safety, quality and production guidelines and practices. Daily expectations include: sample collection, preparation and analysis, using lab equipment, as well as troubleshooting and maintaining lab equipment. Additional responsibilities include managing lab inventories and continuous improvement of sampling program in order to meet product specifications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Aids in the preparation and analysis of soil and plant tissue and nematodes. Evaluates the results obtained and ensures proper communication protocols are followed.
- Analyzes soil characteristics to classify soil on the basis of factors such as geographic location, landscape position, and soil properties.
- Record data pertaining to experimentation, research, and plant care.
- Prepare seed germination tests and maintains records as needed.
- Prepare data summaries, reports, and analyses that include results, charts, and graphs in order to document research findings and results.
- Aids in troubleshooting and maintaining lab equipment, including but not limited to calibration schedules, software interface, mechanical, and electrical support.
- Examine plants in order to determine the presence of diseases or other problems.
- Set up laboratory or field equipment, and prepare sites for testing.
- Oversee lab technician assistants and direct sampling assignments.
- Respond to inquiries and requests from owners and/or management that require specialized scientific knowledge or expertise.
- Assist in all administrative duties as necessary, including filing, data entry, reporting, and supply inventory.
- Some field work may be required such as: Collecting soil or plant tissue samples for nutrient analysis as outlined on the sampling schedule.
- Assist in the establishment and evaluation of field trials, in the field as well as in the laboratory.
- Strong desire to learn production and plant development.
- Creates a safety culture and manages policies that meet company expectations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Specifications:
- Ability to resolve problems.
- Ability to interpret scientific data.
- Detail oriented. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference and fundamentals of plain and solid geometry and trigonometry with ability to apply concepts, such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Methodical work ethic and proficiency in procedural work.
- Ability to operate productively with others.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Multi-tasking and accurate labeling practices are required.
- Proficient in Excel and Word.
- Bilingual in Spanish highly desired.
Long-term career possibilities available upon successful completion of internship and graduation.