Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and serving as a member of the Senior Management Team, the Corporate Counsel will be responsible for managing legal and regulatory compliance
Specific responsibilities include:
- Advise members of the Senior Management Team and the Owner’s on new and existing laws and regulations that could affect the business
- Oversee the corporate legal function as a whole, including in the areas of corporate law, contracting, labor law compliance, and Trust and Estate law.
- Identify risks along with propose alternative structures to reduce risks
- Oversee regulatory functions and help develop strategies to drive business results and mitigate risk
- Coordinate with HR, Senior Management Team to enforce company’s procedures and policies
- Maintain and build trusted relationships with key partners internal/external customers
- Adhere to company, federal, state, and local business requirements, enforcing compliance and taking action when necessary
- Draft as well as negotiate agreements
- Supervise and cost efficiently use outside counsel as required.
We seek an executive with a successful record of accomplishment of critical thinking skills with the ability to educate and develop a compliant organization. S/he should be secure in owning projects from ideation to execution and comfortable with shifting priorities. S/he will know how to establish collaborative relationships, to scrutinize relevant information, and have the insight needed to judiciously vet ideas and business cases for the long-term success of the business.
Experience and Education
- 5-10 years of legal experience in employment law with significant expertise in wage and hour and Farm Labor Contracting issues
- A solid ability to lead and develop
- A strong knowledge/experience with food or agriculture
- J.D. from an ABA-approved law school required
Skills and Personal Characteristics
- Ability to quickly ramp up on new projects and demonstrated structured problem solving
- Leadership skills, demonstrating personal integrity and resolve
- Be able to diagnose issues quickly and have the foresight to anticipate issues before they arise
- Proactive, hands-on, make-things-happen executive
- Must have a results-oriented work ethic
- Bilingual in Spanish desired but not required