Alco Harvesting Company
Job Title: Human Resource/H2A Manager
Reports To: Director of Human Resources and Alco General Manager
Location: Santa Maria, Yuma, AZ and Other Harvesting Regions
- Serve as a link between management and employees by fielding questions, interpreting and helping to resolve work-related issues in a professional and timely manner.
- Ensure compliance with corporate policy, fair employment practices and government regulations.
- Manage employee documentation and adhere to Corporate HR Policies.
- Advise and train Foreman and Supervisors on organizational policy matters such as equal employment opportunity, Sexual Harassment and other related corporate and legislative policies.
- Administer New Hire Orientations, Disciplinary/Counseling Actions, and Terminations.
- Respond quickly and urgently to staff vacancies and recruit, interview and select appropriate applicants.
- Plan, Organize, Direct, Control and Coordinate the personnel, training, and labor relations activities.
- Provide information and training to employees about company policies, job duties, working conditions, wages, opportunities and employee benefits.
- Conduct investigations on employee relations issues: Sexual Harassment, Grievances, Safety, Etc.
- Maintain documentation organization for: New Hires, Transfers, Promotions, Performance, and Time and Attendance. Ensure documentation reaches corporate personnel files.
- Create, improve, and monitor new hire packets to ensure legislative compliance.
- Ensure all I9’s are organized, current, and accurate.
- Ensure all legal postings are accessible and posted according to legislative compliance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ensure weekly safety meetings are conducted with documentation and organization.
- Coach and educate all levels of management and employees on environmental safety and health regulations.
- Other Duties as assigned.
- Administer the Temporary Agriculture Workers Program (H2A).
- Ensure compliance with US Department of Labor.
- Manage and oversee the Housing and Transportation requirements of the program.
- Ensure compliance with State and Federal regulations.
- Foster positive working relationships with DOL, EDD, CRLA, OSHA, Etc.
- Manage recruitment strategies of the program.
- Handle all legal compliance issues involved in obtaining work visas.
- Conduct and continually refine new H2A Employee Orientations.
- Handle H2A employee issues regarding wages, workers compensation, housing, transportation, etc.
- Conduct various administrative and record keeping activities.
- Attend on going seminars and industry association meetings and seminars on Immigration and Guest Worker Topics.
- Train HR Staff on H2A Program Requirements and Deadlines (SOP’s) to ensure staff is cross trained.
- Other Duties as assigned.
- Assist Foremen with administrative items: Forms, Binders, etc.
- Go out to the field to assist in Emergency/Payroll/New Hire/Termination/Counseling support for the Foremen and Supervisors.
- Train Foreman and Supervisors in new processes on how to capture data using the HH’s.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Five years plus proven experience in Human Resources and H2A Programs.
- Experience in agriculture.
- Conscientious, detail-oriented, self- motivated.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks timely and accurately a must.
- Strong written and verbal communication skill.
- Strong interpersonal skills with strong ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels of the company including: Owners, Executives, Management, and front line workers.
- Experience working with individuals across different geographies and cultures.
- Bilingual in Spanish required.
- Proficiency with the computer (Email, Excel, Word, Payroll Systems).
- Ability to plan ahead, troubleshoot and anticipate problems and solve them.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple job tasks.
- Ability to learn new technologies for production and record keeping.
- Be highly organized, punctual and exhibit strong work ethic.
- Willingness to learn and share knowledge with others.
- Capable and willing to work accurately, efficiently and productively for performance results.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Strong ability to work with the Human Resource, Safety, and Payroll Team to achieve the goals at hand in a professional and positive manner.
- Travel required to Yuma, Arizona for a 5 month consecutive period, Santa Maria (7 months), Oxnard. Other travel as designated.
- Problem Solving – Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Interpersonal – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming. Maintains confidentiality. Listens to others without interrupting. Keeps emotions under control. Remains open to others’ ideas and makes suggestions of ideas to better policies and procedures.
- Oral Communication – Listens and gets clarification. Responds well to questions.
- Team Work – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Able to build morale and group commitments to goal and objectives. Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; Ability to work well with all team members.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Works with integrity.
- Communication – Must be able to read and write in Spanish.
- Support Company Vision – Follows policies and procedures; Supports company’s goals and values. Leads by example.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent;
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals;
- Planning/Organizing – Uses time efficiently.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Reports potentially unsafe conditions. Uses equipment and materials proper. Keeps work area clean and organized.
The essential physical requirements for this position are:
- Employee must have the ability to walk, talk, hear, see, speak, concentrate, reach in all directions, stoop, bend, lift up to 60 lbs.
- Use a computer, telephone and other equipment needed for the position with current technical needs of the organization.
- Possess the ability to reason and communicate clearly with or without reasonable accommodation.