Alco Harvesting Company
Job Title: Operations Manager
Headquarters: Santa Maria, CA
Reports To: Alco General Manager and Board of Directors
The Operations Manager will provide the leadership and vision necessary to ensure that the company has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, people and systems in place to effectively grow the organization and to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency.
The Operations Manager will report to the ownership group and is responsible for the business operations of Alco Harvesting LLC. And will direct and manage the following areas;
- Field Operations
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management to a product and service organization that mirrors Bonipaks mission and values.
- Provides timely, accurate and complete reporting on the operating condition of the company.
- Spearhead the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes.
- Collaborate with the management team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the growth objectives of Alco.
- Assist, as required, in customer meetings and visits to enable the company to meet sales, growth, and market share objectives.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment.
- Lead projects to improve internal efficiencies and provide direct benefits to our customers.
- Professionally represent the company with clients and business partners.
- Manage the company’s budget from proposal to annual review with the Ownership Group.
- Management of quarterly reviews for expenses and revenues; involves work with financial counsel, as well as company’s CPA and auditing firms in the review of financial statements.
- Build dynamic programs to ensure proper management of competitive salary and benefits programs, profit sharing, health, life, holiday, and time off.
- Successfully lead/participate contract negotiations:
- Equipment leases and purchases.
- Carton suppliers and other packaging vendors.
- Insurance agents and all types of policies.
- Property leases & subleases.
- Employee programs & benefits.
- Cost of goods sold vendors.
- Legal actions.
- Professional service providers.
- Profit retention and rebates.
- Oversee the development and proper implementation of company policies, including but not limited to:
- Employee handbooks
- Health and safety programs
- Compensation and benefits administration
- Policies and procedures for office operations
- Recruitment, training, performance reviews, disciplinary actions, layoffs and terminations
- Employee relations
- Prepare and review financial statements and records:
- Cost and yield reporting
- Rebates/retention schedules
- Ensure the operations maintain a profitable condition
- Oversee the acquisition and maintenance of all equipment necessary to accomplish field operations.
- Oversee the planning and execution of field operations, harvesting and field work.
- Ensure harvesting operations meet or exceed shipper quality standards.
- Ensure accurate accounting of packaged produce according to grower, venture, commodity, and variety.
- Oversee team performance in all commodities in all areas.
- Represent and communicate with external entities on behalf of the company, such as:
- Growers: regarding all harvest decisions and resulting data.
- Shippers: regarding volume and quality decisions.
- PCAs: regarding pest control.
- Visiting governmental authorities in enforcement and regulatory actions regarding field operations & licensing.
- Software skills and knowledge of cost accounting software are required, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite applications, (i.e., Excel and Word). Pet Tiger payroll software.
- Insurable and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Excellent physical condition particularly for extensive presence in fields.
- Personal attributes must include,
- High integrity and strong work ethics.
- Flexible and able to deal with multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Calm under pressure.
- Excellent communicator one-on-one and in group settings.
- Superior time management.
- Strategic Thinking
- Results Driven
- Business Acumen
- Decision Making
- Field Management
Physical and Mental Ability Requirements
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills; must exercise a high degree of initiative, discipline, judgment, discretion and decision-making. Superior organizational skills.
- Ability to influence and communicate effectively throughout multiple levels of the organization.
- Ability to look at situation, interpret all facts, and decide based on available information and resources.
- Ability to work in both an indoor and outdoor capacity which includes inclement weather in degrees from less than 32°F up to 90°F plus degrees. Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to climb ladders and stairs, push and pull horizontally, bend, lift and lower, crouch, repetitively squat stoop, reach, and walk and other physical activities associated with an outdoor, cooler and field environment. Ability to lift 60 pounds without undue physical exertion.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including ability to communicate verbally and comprehend verbal instructions. Requires sufficient sight and hearing to perform all duties.
- Ability to manage a project from its initiation to completion with minimal direction and supervision.
- Ability to carry out defined procedures with or without specific instructions, including ability to learn new duties with minimal repetition.
- Energetic forward-thinking individual with ability to maintain effective working relationships within all levels of the organization.